Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cleanse Day 2: In which we meet the juicer

For a large part of my life, I have suffered from insomnia.  It comes and goes but I remember roaming the halls at night as young as eight.  Last night, I slept wonderfully.  Today at work I felt less stressed and more clear headed.  It may just be the power of suggestion, but I genuinely feel like I have more energy.  There was a little bit of bloat this morning, but it wasn't anything some control-top pantyhose couldn't contain, and the feeling is gone tonight.

Today we were introduced to the most trendy health appliance I am trendy enough to know about: the juicer.  While not listed with other stuff white people like, I am pretty certain the juicer is the must have health conscience hipster accessory.  I purchased the Breville Juice Fountain Multi-Speed as featured in Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.  The decision was made not on its notoriety but on the fact that we have the Breville tea maker and have been very happy with it.  It is one intense piece of equipment.

 Please note: The theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey should be playing in  your head.
So I prepared cucumber-pear juice, when all this...
became this.
Pretty, green, and frothy
What part is missing from the movie?  As Joe is driving around the country, dealing juice out of his trunk, they never show how he deals with the resulting pulp.  There isn't a scene of him in a rest stop bathroom struggling to clean all 7 pieces.
The pulp seems a bit wasteful, but according to Michael Murray, ND, the pulp can be used to make stock or muffins.  I don't have any immediate plans for the sludge.  Somehow celery ginger muffins don't sound enticing.

No comments:

Post a Comment