Thursday, February 21, 2013

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

I finally gave in and watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.  I had put it off for a long time because dismissive attitudes towards health upset me.  And there were definitely some parts when I was feeling a little dismayed, like the guy who said if he dies at 55 at least he ate the way he wanted.  His son looks on as he shoves forkfuls of beef and mashed potatoes with gravy into his mouth.

Back in the day, external things were responsible for a person's demise.  Infection.  Tigers.  The inconveniently placed cliff.  Now it seems we have a large share in the responsibility department.  Heart disease.  Type II diabetes.  Hypertension.

Anyway, I'm not completely convinced about the whole juicing approach, but I can certainly appreciate the philosophy behind it.  Taking control of your health and reprogramming to rid your body of those cravings for the toxic trio of sugar, fat, and salt is fantastic.  But an extreme approach can set people up to fail.  I personally believe one of the ways to maintain healthy eating is developing a positive relationship with food, and this includes enjoying it.

I was completely impressed with the way Joe and Phil changed their lives around.  The second half of the movie was very inspiring.

As I type this, my son is starting to throw a tantrum because I told him he couldn't have m & m's before dinner.  Oh, irony.

No comments:

Post a Comment