Monday, February 25, 2013

The Husband's Big Change

I've always appreciated K's outlook on food and how she takes extra care to make sure that our son eats the right food, but a few months back when she wanted to be a vegetarian; I was a little shocked.  She had been contemplating it for some time.  My first thought was how is this going to change what I eat.  I haven't been a particular healthy eater throughout my life, but K has made me eat more healthy food and less junk food.

I have worked in retail for a long time and with that comes a certain lifestyle.  Grab what you can and eat fast or you don't eat is that lifestyle.  I have always fallen back on having a good metabolism and a fairly active lifestyle to make myself feel better about my eating habits.  I didn't really eat that many fruits and vegetables or fish outside of lent and I rather enjoyed some fast foods especially Skyline.

So one day, I came into our study after putting our son in bed and K is watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix and I found myself interested in what was going on.  One of my team members did the juicing thing a couple weeks back and really talked about the benefits of it and how much better she felt after doing it.  Being the smart guy that I am put two and two together and realized that she must have gotten the idea from the documentary.

After watching the show, K and I started talking about doing something similar.  She really wanted me to do the cleanse diet with her.  It wouldn't be straight juice, but a variation of that diet.  Regardless of what it is, I couldn't say that I was overly excited about giving up meat and my guilty pleasures for three weeks.  I know that three weeks isn't much time, but I can't even have a beer which is another post altogether.

So yesterday, I stopped at McDonalds on my way to work for one last meal before we started and had a beer when I came home after a long day......and we fast forward to today.

For breakfast, a tropical fruit and tahini smoothy.  It was pretty good.  Lunch, not so much.  K replaced my usually fast food or not so fast, but still not good for you food with some kind of lentil salad with a side of almonds, pea pods, and an orange.  Didn't do so well with the lentil salad, but got the rest down and remembered how much I like oranges in the process.

Needless to say, I came home from work famished.  When I got home, there was a bowl of broccoli soup with avocado.  Ideally, not what I would eat when I got home, but it was good and it filled me up which was a nice surprise after a long day.  I washed it down with a banana/strawberry smoothie.

First day down; 20 to go.  K doesn't think I'll hang with it, but I plan on it.  Then maybe she'll stop making fun of my slightly enlarged gut.

No comments:

Post a Comment